Stille Nacht (Silent Night) > teacher's general material
christmas song (1818) by Franz Xaver Gruber
german verses (1816) by Joseph Mohr
STUDENT MATERIAL : PERSONS : PLACES : LYRICS : AUDIOVISUAL : AUTOGRAPHS : SOURCES
- material for your student
- INTRODUCTION FOR STUDENTS (SILENT NIGHT SPECIAL) (12 pages. Please, maximize your page for better view.)
- lyrics 1st stanza for students - print the page
- For piano beginners, see piano teacher folder.
- places mentioned
There are dozens of versions of lyrics-to-sing in all languages, even in german, the language of the original lyrics by Mohr. Here presented is the original german by Mohr and the most common english version by Bishop John Freeman Young.
- German original with word to word english translation:
- Very cleary heard at the performance by Nana Mouscouri (see audiovisual: german).
- English lyrics to sing
- the most common english version by Bishop John Freeman Young
- Material for teachers: 1st stanza in german, pronunciation in International Phonetic Alphabet (ipa) and english mot-à-mot translation. Also, glossary with short explanations of each word.
- view pages
- Material for students: 1st stanza in german and english, pronunciation
- view page - print page
'Silent Night' has been recorded from hundreds of artists. Start from simple, straightforward interpretations with clear diction. More academic, or more modern. For older children, a comparison to free interpretations. Guide them while listening to page 9. If you are looking for children performers, there is Aled Jones (in english) and a young boy accompanying Mireille Mathieu (in french). If you are looking for choirs, there is St Thomas Boy Choir (in german) and the Royal Academy of Music Choir, accompanying Aled Jones. If you are looking for a capella interpretations, there is an excellent one by Sinéad O'Connor (in english). And finally, if you are looking for special interpretations, there is Mahalia Jackson.
- original score for voices and guitar recorded by ORF (Austrian Radio Television)
- 1st stanza audio http://www.stillenacht.at/music/strophe1.mp3 (771kb)
- 4th stanza audio http://www.stillenacht.at/music/strophe4.mp3 (766kb)
- by Nana Mouscouri.flv (video): 3 min with images and GERMAN LYRICS written out
- by the St Thomas Boy Choir: Thomanerchor.flv (video)
- by the Carpenters (video with still image of the CD cover). Karen sings with her clear, crystal voice.
- audio.http://www.waltdensmore.com/folk/Carpenters_SilentNight.asf (505kb)
- by Sinéad O'Connor and the Westlife.flv (video). O'Connor sings solo, a capella and the other singers join in.
- by Aled Jones, as a young boy.flv (video) with the Royal College of Music Chamber Choir
and Aled Jones, older.
- by Andy Williams (video)
- by Elvis Presley
- audio.http://dedeswalkwithgod.homestead.com/files/Silent_Night...ELVIS_PRESLEY.wav (352kb)
- by Julie Andrews
- audio.http://www.jhepple.com/ChristmasMusic/DU_SilentNight.wma (562kb) bad quality of recording
- as a gospel by the divine Mahalia Jackson.flv (video), in 1961.
- by the exquisite Mireille Mathieu (video, TV programme) and her little friend, with subtitles in french and its translation in english.
- by Enya: Enya.flv (video)
- by Anna Vissi.flv (video, TV programme)
- SIGN LANGUAGE
- by the Schattensprache: shadow language (video)
- autographs - first editions
- autograph 7 at wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stille_nacht.jpg>
- autograph 7 printed at www.stillenacht.at <http://www.stillenacht.at/img/autograph.jpg> (104kb)
- english translation by Bishop John Freeman Young
- 'Silent Night (song)' Wikipedia. lang:eng. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Night_(song)> retr. 25 NOV 2007.
- Also, look up: Oberndorf.
- Stille Nacht Gesellschaft. Österreich. <http://www.stillenacht.at/en/> Austria. lang:eng.ger. retr. 25 NOV 2007.
- Stille Nacht Info. Österreich. <http://www.stillenacht.info> Austria. lang:eng.ger. retr. 25 NOV 2007.
- YouTube. <http://www.youtube.com> lang:eng. retr. 25 NOV 2007.
links checked in DEC 2007, 2010.